My name is Timothy Pakron. I was born and raised on the Mississippi gulf coast. I studied studio art in college, majoring with a concentration in Photography and Painting. I have lived all through the southeast including Georgia, South Carolina, and Mississippi.
For the past past 6 years I have resided in New York City where my passions as a 10 year vegan and a visual artist led me down the path of becoming a full time chef and food stylist. Food photography, recipe development, and actively hosting pop-up events highlighting my original menus have been past endeavors. One of the common goals with my cooking is to incorporate cajun, creole, and southern inspired ideas into my recipes. That is what I grew up eating, so it is very dear to me. My other focus is using local, seasonal, and often wild produce and mushrooms that I forage.
I recently have moved back to Mississippi to take a break from the hustle of NYC and to work on my most recent project: my cookbook. I have one year to create recipes, write stories, and create photographs that truly encompass my passions. This means I will be foraging for wild plant and mushroom species growing throughout the southeast, participating in depth research on southern traditions, and creating the most photographic content that I can.
And just for fun, here are a few things about me that you might like to know:
1. I put Ylang Ylang oil in my beard.
2. I eat potatoes. Often. Ok, everyday.
3. I talk to my Mom, also, everyday.
4. I love animals because I respect them. But, I’ll be honest. I despise roaches and they frighten me terribly. I wish they would just leave me alone but I recognize that they mean no harm. They’re just living their life, right?
5. I want to have a garden that’s large enough to not be a small farm (although it will probably end up being a small farm).
6. I want to plant a maze of gardenia bushes so that when you stand in one spot during their bloom, you will only see and smell gardenias.
7. I view wine as fruit juice, and therefore actively drink it for health reasons.
8. I think cooking is an extension of the heart and it’s up to the cook to determine how much they want to extend.
9. I truly believe that creating delicious food or styling beautifully is not necessarily about talent, but more so about caring.
10. I wish grocery stores only had local produce, grains and mushrooms, in which case imported and non-local items where the specialty items, not the other way around.
11. I wish humans cared more about the planet and set sustainability as their main goal.
12. I wish there were more fruit trees and flowers all over.
13. I truly wish NYC wasn’t so expensive.
14. I hope to one day soon have a relationship with a boy cat named ‘Cheeseburger’ and one with a very skinny dog named ‘Branches’….and a turtle named ‘Rocky Road’.
15. I love music more than anything… except food.
16. I view life as a constant shift of perceptions and opening of the mind.
17. I truly believe that I was put on this earth to be creative, spread beauty, and use the world of nature as my medium.
18. I went vegan when I was 20 and now I am 30. So I have been vegan for a decade!
19. My favorite color is baby blue. And sea foam green. Don't make my pick.
20. I also have a website dedicated to my art.
Thank you for taking the time to get to know me just a little bit better!
And don't forget to join my mailing list so I can keep you in the loop.
Timothy aka Mississippi Vegan